The 1818 the Santa Ysabel Asistencia was located here, a Spanish mission asistencia (sub-mission) of Mission San Diego de Alcalá. The town site is within the former Rancho Santa Ysabel, an 1844 Mexican land grant to José Joaquín Ortega and Eduardo Stokes. In 1878, what began as the town of Santa Ysabel began with a store owned by C. R. Wellington, and grew to include a hotel and a blacksmith. By June 26, 1889 it had acquired its own post office. The current day town is located near the San Diego River, just north of the Cleveland National Forest at the junction of Highway 78 and Highway 79. Notable sights of the small town include the famous Dudley’s Bakery and Julian Apple Pie factory, The town serves as a gateway to the mountains of San Diego County, including the Laguna Mountains, Julian and Palomar Mountain.